Thursday, October 16, 2014

The slatted (lamellar) swimming pool cover from VR Production does not work

The automatic pool cover produced by VR Production (A.P.F Annonay Productions France) and sold by the Norwegian dealer Basseng AS has had major problems from the very beginning; it has stopped, broken down, failed to start, jammed — basically, it does not work. Basseng AS's slatted (lamellar) pool cover is now defective and cannot be used at all. 

Five years ago, I invested in a slatted swimming pool cover from VR Production (dealer in Norway: Basseng AS). It was a stupid idea. Their brochures are gorgeous, and because my old automatic cover, which had served me well for more than twenty years, began to show wear and tear, I invested nearly fifty thousand Norwegian kroner (EUR 6 000) in this slatted cover. The first problem arose when it was discovered that the installation instructions were in French. After a little pestering on my part, the supplier sent me an edition partially in Norwegian — I got the rest translated by an acquaintance who knows French.

We enjoyed the safety cover over our pool for one entire summer, but the following year it stopped working. I measured the voltage and concluded that the motor was not getting any power from the control box, and after negotiating with the supplier, I returned the box, which was forwarded to the manufacturer in France. Eventually the box was returned to me, and I reinstalled it. We then enjoyed the safety cover over our pool for another entire summer, but the following year it stopped working. Once again, the problem was an error in the power supply, and I stopped using the control box altogether and went over to running the motor from a battery (in consultation with the supplier).

This worked somewhat satisfactorily; I would charge the battery in the garage at night and operate the pool cover during the daytime—until the motor stopped working. The Norwegian company Basseng AS does not have the needed technical competence, so all questions had to be translated into French and sent to the manufacturer, and then the replies had to be translated back into Norwegian. All parts have to be sent to France for repair or replacement. All this takes a very long time. After opening the motor casing, I found traces of corrosion; it is obvious that the French manufacturer has used the cheapest possible components.

The conclusion is that in the course of five summer seasons, the pool cover has functioned properly only two out of five years. This product cannot actually be called a safety cover. First of all, the pool is without a cover during major portions of the season; secondly, it is absolutely incredible how much extra work and frustration this slatted pool cover has caused me in comparison with the cover I owned previously. So, attractive brochures are of no help.

 The picture clearly shows corrosion on the electrical contacts.

I have learned something from this adventure. The next time I buy equipment for my swimming pool, I intend to ensure that:
  • The dealer has the basic technical expertise pertaining to the product he sells.
  • It is possible to get the necessary service if something should go wrong.
In retrospect, I can't remember ever buying a technical product from a dealer who had so little knowledge about the product he sells.
 
Norsk utgave - Norwegian version


No comments: